Why We Do What We Do?

Checking my heart once again.

Made me think the past as me and the Kiva Fellow trekked the dangerous road heading to our client for Borrower Verification needed for Kiva this afternoon, with a motorcycle. 

My job is not glamorous, but it always give me peace. Being that small person as part of the team that made a difference in the life of these clients that we serve made me remember why I do what I do. 

While I can complain only of my feet getting wet or my jeans, this is nothing compared to millions of people from my country just trying to survive in their poverty, without access to so many things. And sometimes that even includes food.



When I look back, I realize "what is my sacrifice compared to the sacrifice of the clients who has so much less than I?" My salary is always on a "monthly basis" while some clients have to endure everything because the local government unit failed at something which made their lives the more miserable. Take for example this man, who is lifting the agricultural crops on his shoulder in order to cross this river because the bridge was damaged. I cannot imagine how heavy was the sack with sayote and at the same time resisting to be carried away by the strong water current.





In this organization, in many instances it call for our hearts not our brilliant minds. Had it been that I'm only after the salary, I would have left this job many years ago. 

We have to cross rivers, or experience soaking wet while on a motorbike for almost an hour-ride with heavy rain pouring on our helmets. We have to be "on-the-go" most of the time which equates to leaving families behind to tend to themselves, leaving your beloved pet and even the comfort of the familiar. 




Still everything becomes blurry, when I remember how our clients are living their lives even with so much less. 

Today, I have the reason to be THANKFUL! :)

Carpe Diem.




Comments

Popular Posts