For My Love of the Sea

The beach is one of my favorite escape for a happy day.
The moment I learned how to snorkel was my happiest moment.
From then on, I wanted to stay in the ocean and explore the best places to snorkel, looking at the blue starfish, colorful parrot fish and corrals.

However, what lays ashore is devastating. The trash is heartbreaking. Many Filipinos are insensitive, irresponsible, careless and acting like dumb people. From this place alone, I picked a backpack, shoes, ropes, diapers, sanitary napkins, empty plastic bags, bottles, broken bottles, and styrofoams.


I'm grateful for the inspiration brought about by a Facebook group called "Plastic Free Bohol".

This morning I spent a moment in Doljo, Panglao for a volunteer coastal clean up.
I have to bring my niece because this is an opportunity for her to learn, since she loves the beach too.

At first, she felt like she is being punished but I know that in the future, she will understand. Yes, we were able to rid of empty bottles like what she is holding in her hand.


Two bags full of trash  were thrown and hidden in the bushes.



If not for all the volunteers who helped, this would have been a worse dumping ground. Sacks after sacks of trash was taken from this place. 


Even a diaper was here. I have to dig in the sand to take it out. I'm disappointed whoever is that MOTHER who let this happened. 

Unless we do something now, only time can tell if how soon we will be swimming with all these trash or for marine life to perish from consuming all these solid waste if when it will end up dumped in the water. I hope that eventually, families will make it part of their "talk" at home to educate children not to throw trash anywhere. There is no need for a decade of preaching. This only needs common sense :(










Comments

Popular Posts